Saturday, July 26, 2008

Gearing up for Back to School


One of my most fond childhood memories was walking up to the elementary school with my sisters to check for class assignments and copying down our school supply lists that were posted on the school window.

I used to *love* back to school shopping (heck, I still get a thrill walking down the office supply aisle)! There's something about buying new No. 2 pencils, pens, crayons, notebook paper, folders, compass (which now that I think about it, I don't recall ever using!) that was just so exciting!

Part of the excitement was finding a way to show your unique personality through your supplies that would set yourself apart from your peers. Who would have the coolest lunch box, folder or new backpack on the first day of school? What to WEAR on the first day of school?? Kids these days have even more options than I did "back in the day." Lucky!

For Sanrio lovers, there is some GREAT stuff right now. I did a little reminiscing and put together my dream back to school list (pictured above) today. Here is a list of my "Must Haves":

  • Backpack: I found a cute, versatile Hello Kitty backpack. I was really surprised at how functional it was too. It has a bunch of pockets, well-padded shoulder straps and very sturdy material. There are different styles to choose from too (messenger bags, traditional two shoulder bags, one shoulder cross-the-chest bags) and just about every Sanrio character. These bags are in the $20-30 price range, which is right on par if not a little less than non-character backpacks.
  • Lunch Bag: Cute, cute cute! Made of sturdy padded backpack material and has two separate compartments-- one smaller one up top that would be good for snacks or a small ice pack to keep lunch cool and the larger main compartment which comes with a sandwich size matching plastic container.
  • Pencils: No. 2 with my favorite Sanrio characters or mechanical.
  • Pens: Gotta have the 7 color pen to write notes to your friends with!
  • Pencil Case: Two zipper compartments with deep gussets. Perfect for pencils, pens and crayons and that compass that you need to buy but may never use!
  • Giant Eraser: Just because it's 6" tall and 2.5" thick and equals AWESOME.
  • Notebook Paper: Wide ruled notebook paper with Batz Maru (or another character) is perfect for writing notes, taking notes or doodling. May not be a teacher's choice for turning in assignments, but it's too cute to pass up!
So those are my must haves for back to school. I can't wait for my 19-month-old to be old enough for school so we can load up on cool back to school gear!

2 comments:

Alice said...

You're not the only one with fuzzy warm feelings for back to school (school supply shopping). Even though my child is not old enough to even hold a pencil, I'm looking forward to the day. Until then, I'll just drool over the vast number of choices the kids have today.

Catherine said...

My hello kitty pencil box/eraser set was my favorite.